May 8, 2019
(10:45 a.m. EDT) -- Silversea has announced that the 388-passenger Silver Shadow is to undergo a multimillion-dollar dry dock refurbishment in November 2019, to bring the 19-year-old ship in line with the standard of the rest of the luxury line’s fleet.
Silver Shadow is the last of Silversea’s ‘classic’ ships to be refitted, introducing a look and feel similar to that of the flagship, Silver Muse, including a complete update of all suites, restaurants and lounges.
The refurbishment is part of Project Invictus -- a fleetwide upgrade made possible by the $1bn purchase of Silversea shares by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL).
At a media event held in central London today, Peter Shanks, Silversea's managing director, UK, Ireland, Middle East and Africa, said: "This refit is costing many millions of dollars more than we had originally planned."
"It’s a sign of the investment Royal Caribbean has put behind us. Stepping onto Silver Shadow will be like walking onto a brand-new ship that has been ‘Muse-fied’. This standard will now be consistent across our whole classic fleet."
Full details of the refit include:
- A revamped atrium on Deck 5, creating a friendlier feel, with open-plan boutiques, open-plan guest services and future cruise sales areas and a new Arts Cafe, similar to the concept that was first introduced on Silver Muse.
- A complete overhaul of all suites, including all soft furnishings and new bathroom furniture, although some of the original marble in the bathrooms will be retained. The new look will embrace similar colors and materials as those on Silver Muse.
- Complete refurbishment of the ship’s buffet and by night, Italian-themed restaurant, La Terrazza, and main dining room The Restaurant.
- Expansion of the specialty French fine-dining restaurant, La Dame, to 40 covers, due to popular demand, so that every guest can dine there at least once per cruise if they want to. The expanded restaurant will take over the space currently occupied by the cigar lounge, Connoisseur’s Corner.
- The Observation Lounge will be completely refitted, as will the Panorama Lounge, again, with a color scheme similar to that of Silver Muse. Meanwhile, the ship’s bar, show lounge and card room will all receive a brand-new look.
- A new steam room and sauna will be fitted in the Zagara Spa, and gym equipment will be updated.
- Connoisseur’s Corner will move to Deck 8 and encompass a new outdoor space with windbreaks, occupying the space that currently serves as a library. The library will move to the Observation Lounge on Deck 10.
- New teak decking around the pool and new Bolidt teak-effect flooring on the upper pool deck and jogging track, replacing the current Astroturf-style flooring. All the outside furniture will be replaced, too, while new canvas shades will be fitted.
- The casino will be expanded and moved from Deck 5 to Deck 8, taking over the current Internet corner.
- Technical improvements will include an upgrade of all the cabin TVs, an overhaul of the engines and painting the hull.