Pride of America Cruise Review by davidnorth
- Sail Date: July 2019
- Destination: Hawaii
- Cabin Type: Obstructed Oceanview
We have been to Honolulu many times, so we flew in the day of departure.
Embarkation was smooth. We chose the free-style / walk-off disembarkation which was smooth.
I was surprised at the amount of visible rust and other maintenance issues on the ship (more run-down than expected)
Our cabin (for three) was of course small - two twin beds locked together for two of us, one hide-a-bed / couch. Both were very stiff and uncomfortable to sleep on.
We ate meals in the main dining rooms (Liberty / Skyline) and Aloha (mainly Aloha for breakfast). Aloha and Skyline are cruise-casual - Liberty requires slightly dressier attire. In general the food was fair. Service in the main dining room was very good.
We did not participate in any on-board ship organized activities or entertainment. Too short a cruise / we enjoyed time off the ship too much.
Kaua'i by far was our favorite island - and we wish we could have spent more time there.
In our party, the youngest child was 6 months old - and the crew was fantastic with him!
I had the following issues with the cruise:
1. Access to the internet via WiFi should have been free in public areas of the ship and in staterooms. With current technology, even on a ship via satellite there is no reason this should not be the case.
2. One day in Aloha, we unfolded a cloth napkin containing silverware – and found someone’s used gum. Gross.
3. Our cabin steward was pleasant – but really didn’t do a great job in making up our room / paying attention to our requests (for instance – if we ask for ice every evening – start automatically providing ice)
4. The non-alcoholic drink package was priced ridiculously high...
5. Mandatory service gratuities were not welcome – By default I provide gratuity for service rendered – and when service is exceptional, the provided gratuity always reflects that. The mandatory gratuity caused me to re-think providing additional gratuity in some cases -even when probably warranted.
6. We were told you could not bring outside beverages (even water bottles) on board – only to watch passenger after passenger carrying closed beverages onboard (even gallon water jugs)
- Read more Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America Reviews
- Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian (NCL) Pride of America Review
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
HiloBeautiful "jungle" side of the big island. We went to Ken's House of Pancakes, Akaka Falls state park, shave ice off the beaten path (Low Store), and Coconut Grove.View All 545 Hilo Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Hilo Cruise Port Review
HonoluluNCL was present in the baggage claim area to meet us. Don't expect a Lei greeting here... that comes at the NCL embarkation facility. We had a large group. The lady who met us was very patient as we assembled, found luggage, etc.View All 647 Honolulu Cruise Port Reviews
We had to wait for a long time - 20 minutes at least for a shuttle to arrive large enough for our group.
The actual embarkation process was smooth - lei greeting, cold water and lemonade, etc. The process of identification, security screening, registration confirmation, etc. was smooth.
View Cruise Critic's Honolulu Cruise Port Review
Kona (Kailua Bay)We spent the morning at Hapuna Bay State Park / beach.View All 376 Kona (Kailua Bay) Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Kona (Kailua Bay) Cruise Port Review