Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by jshoe
- Sail Date: July 2019
- Destination: Alaska
- Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda
We planned/scheduled our own excursions and all turned out to be great. In Ketchikan we used Islands Wings Service and flew with Michelle to the Misty Fjords. Beautiful flight and all of the passengers wear headsets so the entire flight is narrated by Michelle. We landed on a fjord lake and coasted up onto a beach. We had time to take pictures and explore a little before heading back. Michelle is a very experienced pilot and I would highly recommend this trip with Island Wings. In Juneau we went out whale watching (~2 hrs) and the visited the Mendenhall glacier/Nugget falls (~1.5 hrs). We used Juneau Tours and were very happy with the experience. We got lots of video of humpback whales and were somewhat rushed at Mendehall since the last visitor bus left at 7 pm but we had enough time to make it to Nugget falls and take the pictures we wanted before catching the last bus of the day. I was probably most surprised by how much we enjoyed our excursion in Skagway. We signed up for the Yukon Dog Sledding Adventure with Skagway Day Trips and Skagway Scooter. Our driver/guide Mikey was enthusiastic and a pure pleasure as a guide. I don't recall any guide previously making us feel as if our enjoyment on this trip was the most important thing in his day. Our dog sledding excursion involved a comfortable van ride to the Yukon (~ 2 hrs) with stops along the way for waterfalls, glacier pictures and finally to the Tagish Lake Kennel where we got to hold husky puppies, play with older husky puppies, have a Q&A with Michelle Phillips an Iditarod musher before taking a husky pulled cart (think Polaris 4 wheeler) ride. You find out that these cart rides are part of the husky pairing process, conditioning, and evaluating which dogs work best together. If you take this excursion and have Mikey as your guide and you like dogs I guarantee you'll have a good time.
- Room was larger than expected.
- Service was 1st rate everywhere on the ship.
- Nightly theater entertainment was good. We saw a comedy show and a couple of musical/dance shows and all were good.
- Gym was good. I saw several whales jump while walking on the treadmill.
- We are coffee drinkers and the 5th floor coffee shop is Celebrity's version of Starbucks (with alcohol drinks too). On sailing days this was a great place to hang out and read your book or surf the internet. Our package came with 1 device unlimited internet and most of the cruise I had good service on my Galaxy S10. My wife's Apple iPhone for some reason didn't seem to connect as well to the internet. When you are in port service wasn't as good but we have Verizon phone service and we could use Verizon in all of the ports.
- Martini bar was fun each evening before dinner
- Breakfast buffet was probably the best meal of the day for us. Omlettes and fresh squeezed OJ (premium drink package) were good. Good selection of fruit too.
- Room service Turkey BLT & fries with a salad was lunch most days.
Cons: Dinner meals were just OK. We always found the starters preferable so we would order 2 or 3 starters for most of our meal and then typically salmon. I tried the steak in the dining room a couple times and at the Tuscan and all were just average at best.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Mendenhall GlacierCould have used a little more time at MendenhallView All 876 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
Whale WatchingSaw a number of wells but crew kind of goes overboard on requesting Trip Advisor reviewsView All 824 Whale Watching Reviews
Misty Fjords FlightseeingProfessional pilot great excursionView All 153 Misty Fjords Flightseeing Reviews
Dog SleddingMikey the guide made this trip alot of fun with his enthusiasm and knowledge of the area. The photo opportunities and the Kennels along with the ride were a blast.View All 149 Dog Sledding Reviews
VictoriaWalked to a local brewery pub Canoe which was a nice place with good beer.View All 1,285 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Victoria Cruise Port Review