Marella Explorer 2 Cruise Review by Nbogue93
- Sail Date: July 2019
- Destination: Western Mediterranean
We have been truly converted and would love to cruise again, on explorer 2 again too. Wish we’d done a 2 week cruise!!!
- Food was really good and in such abundance! (Vista and the Dining Club were brilliant).
- Crew were lively and generally super helpful and polite.
- Drinks package is very good and although we upgraded to premium we needn’t have as there was such a large selection of drinks.
- We always managed to get a sunbed, even on sea days and we certainly weren’t up at the crack of dawn- but they were enforcing rules for people leaving towels on beds which is good to see.
- My mother and father in law had a cabin on lower decks and their service from Nui (their steward) was incredible.
- Jack Glanville the guest comedian was the highlight of the week for the entertainment.
- I loved using the gym, running track.
- Fish and Chips from snack shack were a treat!
- We did excursions to St Tropez, Rome and Florence but did the ‘on your own’ versions as didn’t fancy following an umbrella!! They were beautiful places, but hot and over crowded at this time of year- completely not Marella’s fault, but just a word of advice for other cruisers. Think we would organise tours independently next time as they were extremely long days and fellow cruisers said we could do them cheaper if we arranged taxi tours ourselves!
Things to improve on:
- Both main speciality restaurants (Kora La and Surf and Turf) were booked up by day 2 of our cruise which we were gutted about. They didn’t seem to care either, I did complain and say customers should be told they book up quickly and I would have booked day 1 of the cruise (even though this seems a bit sad to have to do as soon as stepping on the ship). It did mean we booked The Dining Club instead which in the end was superb, but my boyfriend really wanted to try Surf and Turf.
- Our steward kept walking into our room without knocking, whilst we didn’t spend a lot of time in the room, it was a bit uncomfortable! He walked in without a moments knock or hesitation and my partner was quite frustrated by this when he walked in and I was in the shower and he just asked, ‘is someone in there?’ A little strange but I suppose they’re just used to people not being in the cabin, but may require some further training. We just ended up leaving the lock on the door or do not disturb in whenever we were in.
- As others have mentioned, Naples airport was a nightmare, queues galore through passport control and a very long wait for bags, and long walk in the heat for the bus transfer. I hope they don’t only use Naples (although it’s good for Sorrento trips for us!)
- Noise in our cabin kept me from sleeping one night due to a loud noise when the ship was rocking in the wind- I didn’t sleep till 5am. (Cabin 8128)
- Spa is great, but an infinity pool it is not! (It is only deep enough to sit in!)
- Gym needs air con!!!!!
All in all, these are minor complaints for a superb cruise but things which if rectified would be amazing!
250,000+ people have entered their email