MSC Bellissima Cruise Review by loveyellow
- Sail Date: May 2019
- Destination: Mediterranean
There are many reasons we do not like this cruise line (see below). We bought the 'Fantastica experience' because the luxury 'yacht club' cabins were sold out. There are so many levels of 'experience'. We choose the middle one. That became the major reason we will not choose this cruise line again:
Detail: One of the cabin ran out of facial tissue. Asked the steward and he said only one box of facial tissue was allowed for the whole 7 days trip. There was no wash cloth provided neither. How can we clean and dry our face? Toilet paper?
Asked customer service, who asked us back:
'Are you in yacht club cabin?'
'Then for environmental reason, we only offer one box of facial tissue for your cabin.'
WHAT???? That means the yacht club (people who paid more) did not have to care about the environment and can have more than one box of facial tissue? Is it hypocrite or discrimination? Or both?
The rest of the bad experience were:
- Pre-trip, we tried to buy restaurant package online, which offered to choose the date and time of dining. We did, but the system gave us different date and time after check out. We wanted to eat together. Called but no help because we bought the cruise via third party. We cancel the purchase and bought again, and again, and again. No luck. Never gave us the date and time we wanted. No help even after many calls. Different agents gave us different answers. Some even lied. At the end we had to rush to check in early onto the ship in order to rush to the restaurants to make sure we got the same date and time. So much anxiety! Really unhappy even before the cruise.
- bought premium drink package. Did not worth it. Individual drinks (both alcohol and non alcohol) were reasonable price onboard anyway. If you will be out everyday day for excursion like us, you would not drink that much. Besides, you have to buy the same package for all people in the same cabin even only one person drink. We lost big money out of this policy.
- Quality of drink (even the same drink) were different from bar to bar. Some were really awful. Coffee was all bad. Premium coffee even worse.
- bought 4 restaurants package. The package menu choices in all 4 restaurants were very limited. (You would not know it until you sit down at the restaurants.) All the really good food were not in the package menu in all 4 restaurants. So we choose to pay more on top of the (already paid) package each time. Still very disappointed with the quality and taste of food. We rated them from B- to C. So disappointed!
- The virtual reality race car was terribly designed. You must be physically fit to get in and out of the car. The experience was not 'real' at all anyway. Waste of money. (The rest of the games at the game room are good though, if you are willing to pay the US $12 to US$18 per game plus 15% service charge.)
- The free rope walking activity (the one that surround the water park) was fun for some people but not enough warning: there was no 'going back', nor option to come down if you feel incapable after entering. Some of us did that. Some had fun, some was horrified. But it did not looked scary until you got up, when there was no coming down. You had to finish the whole course once you were up. This activity was poorly designed.
- Dining room designed was the worst we ever seen, in compare with other cruise line. No grand decoration, no character. Unpleasant.
- Cabin theme color was dark and depressing. Color of carpet was horrible and cheap, did not match anything in the room. And makes the small cabin look even smaller. The only good thing about the cabin was the smart utilize of tiny space.
- No game room, which was our usual gathering and social place at all our many previous cruising. No. Not in MSC.
- Zoe was useless, as noted by many travelers.
- Many billing mistakes. Meaning many trips to customer service. Well, we had time to spare, not much to do on the ship anyway. We advice you to watch your bill closely by using the MSC app.
- Crews overall were polite and helpful. Some stewards even noted our needs (Jars of hot water, wash cloth etc.) And had them ready in the cabin everyday.
- Beautiful LCD dome.
- Chocolate shop sold good quality chocolate. (not include in cruise package)
- Shows every night were good quality (except the magic show.) We can use the MSC apps to reserve, which was great. They were not Broadway shows but very well done.
- Food at complimentary buffet and dining room are overall B+ to A. Hit and miss, which is common in many mid-price cruise. We regret we bought the 4 restaurants package. We should have op to go to dining room and buffet instead.
- Check in and check out were smooth, despite the rain.
- Live music all day. Like them all. It made the run to customer service a little more bearable.
- The two Cirque de Soleil shows were $18 each with drink. Yes we watched both. (There was not much to do since we did not dance nor sing) Short and sweet. The same company at Macau and Las Vegas use real water (characters jump in and out of water) and in much larger scale. For people who have already watch them in Macau and Las Vegas, disappointed. But for people who never have the experience, it is good chance to get a taste of it, and with a very good price. Just one thing: there was a night that they only served grapefruit juice as non-alcoholic drink. Big risk. Grapefruit interact with many medications which double or triple the medication effectiveness. In short it causes overdose. Please serve other juice instead.
- gym is smaller than average. OK for short cruise.
At the end, MSC lost 13 customers by refusing to offer one more box of facial tissue.
250,000+ people have entered their email