Oosterdam Cruise Review by danamansell
- Sail Date: April 2019
- Destination: Eastern Caribbean
- Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
I was in a balcony cabin (smallest one) and it was perfect for me and with one other person at times. I was the only one in my room, but thought it was very roomy and well appointed and had I had someone else there I think it would have been fine.
The food was plentiful and fine. Not overly gourmet, but it was good and fresh and met my needs (the point of the cruise was not the food!). There was always something available - they made that very easy.
Service everywhere was outstanding! I unfortunately didn't keep track of people's names - something you should do apparently for these reviews. But I didn't have a bad moment once!
Embarking and disembarking were quick and easy! No lines ever (except upon return for customs but that is not related to the cruise line). Luggage was handled well and no issues.
What I liked were the loads of lounges and places to hang out. As I said we had a large group but we were rarely all together. I like to go and read so there were fun places to do that or hang with a few people. The entertainment and various activities were fun and plentiful so never lacked for something to do even with 2 days totally at sea.
Here are some specific things to keep in mind (including my only negatives):
1. It annoys me to no end that they charge for sodas! I did get a soda card for $25 ahead of time that was worth $50 and that helped. I also brought bottles of soda in my carry on (which is allowed) and put those in my fridge. Soda is cheaper than juice (which was available for free at breakfast) and I think they should have free self-serve soda fountains periodically throughout the ship.
2. The info they send (know before you go) is helpful except they don't well explain the app. Before you get on the ship DOWNLOAD the app and tell anyone in your party to do the same! It's then very easy to use the chat feature with your party within the app and avoid texting charges. We didn't understand all of this and 17 people had 17 different phone carriers and plans so some were afraid to text, turn on their phone, etc. With the app, you have the ability to check the schedule, chat with each other, even check that day's dinner menus while keeping your phone in airplane mode! But it's not clear how it works and took us a lot of playing around (and ultimately not everyone in our group used it). I have since gotten my phone bill and had zero extra charges.
3. My cabin's bathroom had some chips/marks in it that I mistook for dirt at first but then realized it was minimal damage. I am fine with that and the cabin was kept VERY clean and don't expect the cruise line to fix every chip - just be warned, there may be minimal damage but look closely as it's not dirt!
4. This ship holds I think about 2000 people but it didn't feel that large. My good friend and I were on opposite ends of the ship and we could get to each other's rooms with an easy 5 minute walk. But do plan to walk a lot and use stairs whenever possible on the ship. I thought it was very easy to get around, very well marked with signage, and people were super helpful on the few times I got confused.
5. I did do some shore excursions which I really enjoyed. Most were with Holland America but did do one outside of them and all were good with no problems.
Overall I loved it and plan to cruise in the future (even took advantage of paying a deposit for a future cruise to get some cruise credit). Loved Holland America and recommend this ship, their crew, and their service!
250,000+ people have entered their email
Great linens and towels, exceptional service (I did tip the housekeeping). Comfy and quiet even being close to the elevators.
A few nicks in teh bathroom (toilet and shower) that I thought at first were dirt but in fact were not. Had no problem with these nicks - going to happen with such places. Overall well appointed and looked good.
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Amber Cove (Puerto Plata)Went to Ocean World for the swim with dolphins and it was great! Highly recommend and then you're in the park for the full day and there's lots to do. Ocean World dolphin staff were very good and OW has received a humane certification which was important to me.View All 709 Amber Cove (Puerto Plata) Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Amber Cove (Puerto Plata) Cruise Port Review
SnubaSuper fun! I did this to see if I was interested in learning how to scuba dive for real (this seemed like a feasible "test"). So my experience was more about trying the snuba vs. seeing good marine life as there wasn't a lot. It was beautiful and the instructors were great and helpful and I loved being in the ocean, but I would have been a little disappointed if my main goal had been to see lots of fish.View All 8 Snuba Reviews
Half Moon CayReally fun! Suggest bring your own snorkel gear as theirs wasn't very good (my mask kept falling off - wasn't user error, was the mask!). Great to interact with these animals and their trainer was knowledgable and funny!View All 12,783 Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Review
SnorkelingFun boat ride and great snorkeling on a reef (about an hour's sail). Great and knowledgable crew!View All 47 Snorkeling Reviews