Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by kylen2002
- Sail Date: March 2019
- Destination: Caribbean
- Cabin Type: Obstructed Oceanview
- The majority of the crew was fantastic (outside of some rude guest service folks at night).
- The musical entertainment throughout the ship was solid, and so were the magician and comedian.
- Loved the ports and the shore excursions that we went on (Diamond Falls in St. Lucia, beach break in Barbados, lobster cruise in Antigua, and remote beach day in Tortola).
- Embarkation was extremely efficient.
- The freestyle dining option was much better than my dining experience on other cruises (Carnival and Royal Caribbean).
Now onto the less appealing parts of the trip:
- The ship is definitely older and a bit of a maze to get around.
- I noticed the rocking more on the Dawn than on other ships I have been on.
- Disembarkation was fast, but our travel service to the airport was not available since we disembarked so early, so we ended up taking a taxi to the airport.
- Service on the pool decks and at some of the bars was sub-par due to a lack of staff. Some of the bartenders weren't super friendly either.
- We used the laundry service, and they ruined a pair of my board shorts. Full disclosure, guest service didn't charge us for the service and provided a $25 credit.
** Now for the low-light of the trip, our horrible room. It was obvious on the first day we arrived that the AC was not working and had not been working, yet they kept us in the room (maybe hoping we wouldn't mind). Not to mention, there was an odd, almost sewage like smell in the room. We called maintenance immediately and they came to fix it the first time. We left assuming it would be better when we came back...it was not. Called again, and the same situation. Keep in mind no updates are being provided. A couple days later. we come to find out from our room steward that the room above us had overflow issues which obviously zapped the electrical service in our room since the AC, the bathroom fan and several of our lights were shot. Rather than providing us with a new room (not even asking for an upgrade). They kept going on with this circus for 4 days. Finally, I was so fed up with sweating every night in bed that i asked for a fan. Miraculously, a downgraded room had opened up that day for us to sleep in (highly unlikely that it wasn't there the whole time). Guest service did adjust our service charges for the trip to attempt to right the wrong, but it was too little much too late.
In summary, this trip left such a sour taste in my mouth that I highly doubt I will ever cruise with Norwegian again. I also will not be recommending them to anymore friends or family. This trip was embarrassing enough since we suggested it to our two friends who were first time cruisers.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Catamaran SailThe crew was great and the lobster was delicious.View All 96 Catamaran Sail Reviews
BeachNice beach with chairs and umbrellas included.View All 138 Beach Reviews
Island TourGreat way to see and learn about the island. Our tour guide, Candy, was fantastic.View All 250 Island Tour Reviews
St. ThomasShopped around a bit. Second time there, so we chose to stick by the ship.View All 4,646 St. Thomas Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's St. Thomas Cruise Port Review
TortolaBeautiful secluded beach with super friendly locals.View All 12,785 Tortola Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Tortola Cruise Port Review