Silver Spirit Cruise Review by mc2bruin
- Sail Date: October 2018
- Destination: Canada & New England
- Cabin Type: Classic Veranda Suite
Unfortunately, even before we got on the ship problems began to occur. Some of the major issues were: 1. A 45 minute plus wait at the airport STANDING at the Silverseas kiosk for the shuttle to arrive. (We were told it was a 5 minute wait). Once the bus did arrive we found that there were 8+ steps up to the seating area of the bus. There is no way my mother who is in a wheelchair could handle 5 steps let alone 8.
2. The wheelchair cabin was not well suited for my mothers disability needs. The counters were curved, the toilet too low and so difficult to flush. In addition, the mattress sloped down the sides. Each day was a challenge. My mother found the cabin so uncomfortable, she wanted to leave and go home. To make matters worse, after a few days, the toilet started to smell
3. The port in Montreal was changed and we were not notified. My other sister and family were coming on-board in Montreal, but their visit was cut short because they went to the port in Old Montreal which was the address in the pre-cruise info.
4. We understood 2 ports were tendered, but it turned out to be 3 tender ports
5. The ship got into the New York port late, we had to do a mad rush to get a taxi to JFK as if we went with the transfers we would have missed our noon flight. We made the flight with 2 minutes to spare, but the rush was so stressful and tiring for all of us.
It was not all bad, we enjoyed most of the meals. The Arts Cafe had fabulous coffee, sandwiches and little salads. The restaurant servers gave excellent service. Silver Note, La Terraza, Indochine and Atlantide had great menu items, we just wished there were different menus each night. The ports were enjoyable in most cases. Quebec city, Boston and Halifax were most enjoyable. We would have liked to have Maine lobster in Bar Habour, but could not as this was a tender port.
We traveled on many different cruiselines, Viking does a much better job with disabled customers and Crystal seems to have better cuisine. Silverseas has many good itineraries and excellent service, but needs to improve its care for customers with special needs.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Baie-ComeauThe Eglise Saine-Amelie is a beautiful church and worth a visitView All 9 Baie-Comeau Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Baie-Comeau Cruise Port Review
Bar HarborGreat walk along the coastView All 461 Bar Harbor Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Bar Harbor Cruise Port Review
BostonDue to immigration and a long wait for the tenders, we were delayed getting into Bar Harbour, we walked along the coast and had a late lunch at one of the restaurants. The Ivy Manor Inn is just gorgeousView All 638 Boston Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Boston Cruise Port Review
Peggy's CoveIt was a very scenic drive over to Peggy's Cove. Although it rained for most of the time, it was still gorgeous, so glad we wentView All 197 Peggy's Cove Reviews
MontrealGreat port, especially since I have a sister who lives there. But bad communication as we were told the ship would dock at Port of Montreal, Quays of the Old WorldView All 77 Montreal Cruise Port Reviews
333 De la Commune Street in Old Montreal - Quai Alexandra, Montreal, Quebec H2Y 2E2
It turned out that the Spirit docked at a different location and we almost missed seeing my sister and family.
View Cruise Critic's Montreal Cruise Port Review
SaguenayA picturesque small town, my sister and I walked around on our own and visited the churchView All 30 Saguenay Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Saguenay Cruise Port Review
Sydney (Nova Scotia)There is a nice short walk along the harbor with a monument to sailors of the second World War that is worth a visitView All 147 Sydney (Nova Scotia) Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Sydney (Nova Scotia) Cruise Port Review