Marella Discovery 2 Cruise Review by Rugeley Tim
- Sail Date: January 2018
- Destination: Caribbean
Firstly let me state that I have never written a review previously and tend to take them with a piece of cake, I always believe that you make up your own mind, however, I did feel that I needed to comment on this cruise albeit it was our experience and there were probably plenty of passengers who enjoyed their trip.
Whilst not wishing to write war and piece I will try to sumise as much as I can.
● Ship is not new but we'll layed out and perfectly adequate.
● Rooms are a decent size with plenty of space, unfortunately our room was under the bar area on deck 3 which meant it was impossible to sleep between 0600 and 0300 due to the staff dragging crates etc across the floor. This was clearly our biggest problem and was not resolved by the staff. Whilst I know you take your chances with a lower deck inside cabin it has never been a problem previously and having spent several thousand pounds on a holiday I expect to be able to sleep at night!! Complaint is on route to TUI. Don't accept cabin 3537 it is not fit for purpose and should not be used for passengers!!!
● Food is average at best, it is unimaginative, repetative and uninspiring. Having sailed with Thomson before this was always one of the highlights for me but not this time, having read many comments about the buffet I can only describe it as a cattle market with passengers struggling to get seats at many times during the day. I have to say that I had no issues with any of the behaviour of my fellow passengers as reported previously. Food and service in the main restaurants was sporadic and I did send food back on a couple of occasions due to it been cold or of a poor quality.
● Staff are generally friendly and hard working although there are not enough of them, this is particularly pertinent in the bar areas where customers waited for unacceptable lengths of time.
● Entertainment is OK, the team work hard and put on some decent performances. Braxi music are bloody brilliant.
● All inclusive package is excellent with a huge choice of beers, wines, spirits and cocktails.
● Reception Staff from our experience were poor, they didn't resolve the problem with our room despite promising to, didn't communicate amongst themselves and the hotel staff which resulted in a very unsavoury situation which I am again taking up with TUI.
● Destinations for the first week ( Cuban Fusion) were good, really enjoyed Cayman Islands, Havana and Mexico, Montego Bay was OK if you went on an organised trip as there is a state of emergency there at the moment. I was disappointed for the second week on Exotic Explorer, whilst I am all for taking in the local culture both Guatemala and Trujillo in Honduras needed an organised trip to get the best from the locations.
● Organised trips were again hit and miss and in my opinion very expensive, there were lots of mutterings from other passengers regarding the quality and price.
● Overall our experience was disappointing, this was probably heavily weighted by our room experience, Will we travel with Marella again well probably not in the near future there were too many little things which left me irritated and frustrated so probably time to give someone else a chance.
250,000+ people have entered their email