Carnival Dream Cruise Review by routermann
- Sail Date: December 2009
- Destination: Eastern Caribbean
We arrived at the port at 11:30 and the embarkation was very smooth. due to the amount of platinum members and vip members all checked in the same place the line that normally would go into the vip lounge went right to the main desks as we had purchased the cat 11 suite we went right through and on the ship. with no debarkation in the morning the rooms were available much earlier on. when we got into our room i almost threw up. the sewage was coming up in the bathroom. spent the next few hours with the crew and plumbers trying to fix it. I was not allowed in while they were working on it so i dont know what they did but smell was gone. when i returned around 4'ish the smell was even worse. i went and got the room attendant and to my surprise... did what she was told to do and i kid you not.. poured an entire bottle of shampoo that they refill the dispensers with down all the drains and ran water down all three drains. to make a long story short this same procedure was repeated for 5 days every 2-3 hours, 5 days later and many vomit sessions later they finally found the problem to be the drains did not have silicone seals around them and finally by monday night it was fixed. that being the personal part of the cruise that ruined my daughters graduation present. there were no other rooms to move us to and the attendent has been reporting these problems since it left europe, there are still many spots on the boat where this still is occurring.
now for the rest of the cruise.
Pros. 1) if you are a non smoker as i you will be glad to know most of the ship is smoke free, even most of the casino.
2) Carnival did well by hand picking many personnel from all the other ships to come aboard and set the example to all the new employees, unfortunately not enough.
3) Shows were amazing, not only in the theatre but in the main deck and lido deck singers, Well done on Todd's part (c.d.) to bring in great talent.
4) And this being the most important, lol... showing the SEC championship game on the big screen t.v. since i couldnt be in my room that day from the smell i welcomed it on the lido deck.
5) laser show was amazing.. but... this will also be in my cons.
Cons. 1) Tables on lido deck were a mess during peak times, this goes back to not having enough experienced staff, many were standing around while people were getting up to leave and others waiting to sit down, they spent a lot of time talking amongst themselves.
2) Laser show, with any wind the smoke that would normally make an outstanding experience blows up and away still a good show but not like it when no wind.
3) Food... many of the dining room dishes came out luke warm to cold. exception being the soups, these were hot and good.
4) Supper club.. sigh... this was a disappointment to me to the umpteenth degree. I so enjoyed them before they became the steakhouses that they are now. the personal touch is not there like it was. the large selection of breads have been whittled down to 2, the portions are much smaller then they were and that special touch of the chef coming out to great you to see how you liked it,, gone.
5) This being the most important to me. With all the high level carnival executives on board, much of the pomp that should have been there for us went to them. Captains table for dinner.. vip seating for the steakhouse show, front seat seating for night shows was easy to pick them out with todd and all the officers surrounding them like a little girl or boy meeting hannah montana at disney.
6) Many rooms and hallways including deck 2 had sewage smell that was disgusting.
This i am torn on. the first stop in atigua i was too sick from the room to do so i had to cancel. next day was tortola and my daughter went on the 4X4 and loved it. i had to stay back as my room was being torn apart to finally be fixed. next was st thomas. the screaming eagle was a blast and had many hours to shop at port as well as in town. next was san juan which was cancelled because someone didnt do there homework on the pier. finally grand turks. many of the great tours sold out on this and i was disappointed they did not try to schedule any more since we would be arriving 5 hours earlier because of leaving san juan with no stop.
250,000+ people have entered their email