Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by dellguy
- Sail Date: August 2016
- Destination: Southern Caribbean
- Cabin Type: Ocean View
• Overall nice boat, little dated but decent public spaces
• Most staff were great (main complaint was against the waiter on the 1st night, he was incompetent).
• Entertainment was very good, namely the band After School Special. The comedians were also good.
• Good excursions.
• Meals were good (but few were REALLY good).
• Ordering multiple appetizers and main dishes was encouraged.
• Didn't receive a piece of luggage and had to contact C/S for whereabouts (we were not contacted by C/S advising us of any issue). Was told that it was held by Security due to suspicious contents. When I went to discuss, Security couldn't show me what was suspicious.
• Evacuation drill lasted 1.25 hours with way too much standing around. Several guests were fed up and attempted to walk away. We've been on 9 cruises and this was by far the worst drill experience of all.
• Smoking permitted indoors in some areas. So smokers sat next to non-smokers.
• The St. Lucia port was cancelled due to the weather. The Captain made an announcement 30 minutes after the scheduled 8am docking saying the wind was making docking difficult and that 2 attempts were made and a final 3rd would be made before cancelling the stop. When we went to the excursion meet point, no staff (place was empty) were there to inform us the excursion was cancelled. We found out from room stewards that the stop was cancelled around 9am. Then finally at 10am, we heard the Captain announce the stop was cancelled.
• Disembarkation was a fiasco. The port experienced a power failure early that morning so performing customs activity was postponed until significantly later. So no one was allowed to leave the ship until 9:45 or so causing huge lines in hallways and stairwells around the ship exit point. Some guests were waiting for about 2 hours until allowed to exit. We waited around 1 hour in this mess. Some guests were upset and arguing and when the disembarkation started, these guests were aggressively trying to jump the lines pushing other guests. To make matters worse, many guests were pulling several pieces of luggage because Carnival provides the option to carry your own luggage off the ship. The Captain should have made an announcement advising everyone to push their schedule leave time by 1 or 2 hours to minimize this totally uncontrolled and dangerous exit.
• We enjoyed the After School Special band but they were located at a bar that was the main corridor from various venues (including the casino) to others. So guests and staff were constantly walking through the dance floor between the people dancing and the band. Not good at all.
• Shower was not cleaned properly. There was shampoo/soap on the shower walls from previous guests
• No hairdryers
• Room safe required credit card (not room key or entered code) to lock/unlock. So had to bring credit card everywhere (like swimming)
• First night on boat, while still eating appetizers, waiter decided to deliver main courses. Had to instruct waiter to take main dishes back until we finished appetizers. He seemed confused why we didn’t want the food at that time. On the 2nd night, we refused to be served by the same waiter
• A $20 surcharge applied for all steak entrees
• Tea and orange juice were free at certain times of the day and chargeable at other times.
250,000+ people have entered their email