American Eagle Cruise Review by Urum
- Sail Date: May 2015
- Destination: USA
First of all and the most important: if you ever been on a river cruise in Europe/Asia with let’s saying Viking, AmaWaterways, Tauck, Avalon etc…- do not take this cruise: you’ll be vastly disappointed. But first let me briefly describe our trip:
We stayed at a hotel next to the French Quarter, in the morning got to the New Orleans port and had a smooth on time check-in. For an unknown reason musicians already stopped the embarkation entertainment and all welcome drinks were gone. It was a first call something is wrong, but we realized it later. So here is what we experienced during this cruise and what defers it from let's say an ordinary Danube cruise:
- Same people (mostly college students on a summer break) work as a housekeeping stuff and serve dishes in the dining room. That’s the source of all service issues.
- Very limited breakfast selection and by menu only. So expect to spend twice much time than if there was a buffet.
- No barbecue on top deck in spite of a mostly nice weather.
- Overall very limited food selection: only American food. No such things as thematic dinners: let’s say French, Italian etc…
- Mostly “Gallo family” wines used. (the cost is around $3 in our local Walmart store).
- Minor thing but no wine service in the dining room: need to pour glasses by ourselves. Wine is already on a table.
- As other reviewers already mentioned the acoustic in the dining room is terrible.
- Our cabin was never vacuumed
- Many cabins have dampness issues. Shame for a new ship and whoever designed it!
- Slow wireless internet disappearing at the same time as your cellphone service.
On top of that the American Cruise Lines did not even fulfill what was promised with no explanation given: we never visited Oak Alley Plantation as advertised in the day by day schedule on their website.
Overall it was a 1 start cruise for us but thanks to the entertainment and included tours which were pretty good I am giving it 2 stars.
Here is the summary: I'd recommend this cruise only if you absolutely do not care about the service you receive, your kin is impatiently waiting for your death and tons of money under your bed still needs to be spent.
250,000+ people have entered their email