Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Wiltonian
- Sail Date: May 2015
- Destination: Norwegian Fjords
- Cabin Type: Ocean View
Lunch in buffet not too crowded, and then did a quick refamiliarisation tour (we've been on the Equinox previously) before the sail-away down a cloudy Solent.
Only previous cruise was on Equinox in the Med in October, with AQ cabin, so we were interested to draw comparisons:
1. Much older clientele, predominantly 60+, many 75+, with very few under 50.
2. Predominantly British clientele, perhaps two-thirds. Rest USA, Canada, Australia and a few others.
3. Ocean view cabin on 3 had bigger window than expected, and with temperatures under 10 C (50F) most of the time, we didn't miss the balcony. Spotless as usual, with unexpected bonus of live Premier League matches on in-room TV, free!
4. First experience of MDR was good. Table for 6, with two other couples. Food portions not as large as people's comments about how small Blu portions were had led me to expect! Surprised that on a majority British ship, vegetable portions are so pathetic!
5. Entertainment good - though not sure how many non-Brits would have understood the Yorkshire humour from a chap from Doncaster. Having Sue as a British CD changed the 'feel' quite a bit from American CDs.
6. Only gripe is lack of staff in Cafe Al Baccio and the bars. With so many people on drinks packages, Celebrity have little incentive to 'sell' more drinks. Staff run off their feet, and not well managed. They need a better system with the cards, when there's nothing to sign.
7. Excursions (privately arranged) were in good. Recommend the Rodine Fjord trip from Stavanger, the HoHo in Alesund and the Panoramic bus tour in Geiranger.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
AlesundUsed the HoHo bus from the cruise terminal. Excellent commentary (multi-lingual with earphones) and good drivers. gave helpful intro to the history of Alesund. Great views from the top! Then walked around the town.View All 202 Alesund Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Alesund Cruise Port Review
BergenPrivate tour up the funicular, and the walking tour at the top. Guide was pleasant but not very knowledgable. Wouldn't recommend. Shuttle bus worked OK, but queues to come back when rain started.View All 634 Bergen Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Bergen Cruise Port Review
GeirangerCaught the Panoramic Tour bus (90 mins) to two vantage points over the Fjord. Excellent, and highly skilled drivers! Sail out of the Fjord was impressive, despite the rain!View All 143 Geiranger Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Geiranger Cruise Port Review
StavangerArrived on a public holiday, so it was very quiet. Still nice was a wander. Took the 3 hour boat trip to Lysefjord, which goes from just next to the cruise berth. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Recommended - but wrap up well as even on a calm day, it's cold on the top deck due to the speed of the boat. Warm inside, though.View All 272 Stavanger Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Stavanger Cruise Port Review